Esophageal Disease Treatment in Lakewood, CO
We Specialize in Esophageal Diseases
As the largest gastrointestinal practice in the region, Rocky Mountain Gastroenterology Associates is adept at treating all forms of esophageal disease. Such conditions make it challenging to swallow and can have significant long-term complications. Our physician-owned practice has convenient locations in Denver, Lakewood, Aurora, Brighton, and Centennial, CO. We have been serving the local communities for nearly a quarter-century, and we are confident we can help you find relief. We use state-of-the-art equipment and innovative medical techniques to diagnose and treat esophageal diseases. If you suspect you may have a condition that needs medical attention, call our friendly staff today to learn how we can help you.
What Are Esophageal Diseases?
Esophageal disorders affect your esophagus and make it difficult to swallow. Your esophagus is a muscular conduit through which food and drinks travel from your mouth to your stomach. When healthy, the esophagus pushes food into the stomach. It features sphincters at each end that close when there is no food present. The upper sphincter prevents food from entering the windpipe, and the lower sphincter prevents stomach acid from moving backward toward the esophagus. However, when something is wrong with the process, you are prone to a wide range of symptoms.
Understanding the Symptoms of Esophageal Diseases
Esophageal conditions can result in an array of physical complications, most of which are relatively short-lived. However, without treatment from the experts at Rocky Mountain Gastroenterology Associates, you may develop more debilitating conditions. Schedule an appointment at any of our Colorado locations if you experience:
- Food sticking in your throat
- Inability to swallow liquids
- Pain when swallowing
- Persistent cough or sore throat
Causes of Swallowing Disorders
If you suffer from a swallowing disorder, rest assured knowing you are not alone. More than 15 million Americans experience esophageal diseases, which can occur at any age. Fortunately, they are often temporary. They may develop because of nerve or muscle problems, head or neck injuries, or fatigue. But they could be signs of a serious medical problem such as cancer or stroke. For that reason, you should visit Rocky Mountain Gastroenterology Associates for a diagnosis at the first sign of a problem.
Our Team Can Diagnose Your Esophageal Condition
Any diagnosis will begin with a comprehensive review of your medical history and a thorough physical examination. In addition to looking for specific causes of your condition, we will rule out issues that are not contributing. Based on the location, severity, and extent of your symptoms, we may perform one or more of the following diagnostic tests:
- Barium Swallow – This video X-ray study will allow us to view your swallowing process and anatomy to pinpoint the problem.
- Endoscopic Ultrasound – Our team may use this type of ultrasound to evaluate the extent of tumors or other lesions in your esophagus.
- Endoscopy – We will use a flexible tube with a light and camera to view your entire esophagus.
- Motility Study – This test records your esophagus’s movements and pressures.
- pH Monitoring – We use this assessment to determine if you suffer from gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- X-rays – Imaging tests of your neck, head, or thyroid can identify the cause of your swallowing problems.
We Treat A Wide Range of Esophageal Conditions
Our diagnostic tests can identify a wide range of esophageal conditions that our leading physicians can treat quickly and effectively. Among the esophageal diseases we treat are:
- Asthma associated with GERD
- Barrett’s esophagus
- Diffuse esophageal spasm
- Esophageal atresia
- Esophageal cancer
- Esophageal diverticula
- Esophageal stricture
- Esophageal web
- Hiatal hernia
- Infectious esophageal disorders
- Laryngopharyngeal reflux
- Mallory-Weiss syndrome
- Nutcracker esophagus
- Peptic ulcer disease
- Stomach cancer
- Zenker’s diverticulum
Treatment Options for Esophageal Disorders
Understanding the esophageal disorder that is affecting your ability to swallow will enable us to determine the ideal comprehensive treatment plan. In most instances, the issues are temporary and can be treated with medicine and lifestyle changes. But we can also address issues that need more comprehensive care. Our treatment options include:
- Physical Techniques – A therapist can help you make physical changes to improve your condition. Suggestions may include changing your posture when eating, altering your diet, and minimizing head movements.
- Medical Treatment – We can prescribe medications or recommend over-the-counter drugs that will reduce stomach acid and esophageal spasms.
- Surgery – To treat severe swallowing disorders, surgery to remove scar tissue or strengthen the esophageal sphincters may be necessary.
Contact Rocky Mountain Gastroenterology Associates Today
Swallowing is not an activity you can avoid. You must eat to maintain a healthy lifestyle, but esophageal disorders can make swallowing a chore. Rocky Mountain Gastroenterology Associates can help you overcome your condition with comprehensive care at any of our convenient Colorado locations. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.Go back