Gastrointestinal Oncology Treatment in Thornton, CO
Our Oncologists Are Among the Best in the Region
A cancer diagnosis is scary, but the medical professionals at Rocky Mountain Gastroenterology Associates are adept at identifying and treating several forms of the condition. We have 15 convenient locations in Colorado to help gastrointestinal oncology patients navigate their journey. Our physician-owned practice uses state-of-the-art equipment and innovative medical techniques to provide you with the best chance for remission and recovery. We are committed to your physical and mental well-being, so we will be sure you understand your diagnosis and treatment options. If you have any concerning symptoms and want to learn more about your health, call our friendly team today.
What Is Gastrointestinal Oncology?
Gastrointestinal oncology is the study and treatment of cancers affecting the gastrointestinal (GI) system. Rocky Mountain Gastroenterology Associates has expertise managing all kinds of GI problems, including cancer. We have been serving the Rocky Mountain region for more than two decades, so we can quickly identify any causes for concern and put you on a track back to health. There is an abundance of risk factors for developing gastrointestinal cancers, such as gender, age, weight, diet, alcohol or tobacco use, genetics, and various other conditions that could impact your health. Types of gastrointestinal cancers include:
- Anal cancer
- Colon cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- Gallbladder cancer
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumors
- Liver cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Rectal cancer
- Stomach cancer
Recognizing the Symptoms of Stomach Cancer
Unfortunately, early-stage stomach cancer is unlikely to produce many symptoms. But understanding risk factors can make you more acutely aware of troublesome bodily changes. By the time this happens, the cancer may have started to spread. You should visit Rocky Mountain Gastroenterology Associates immediately upon recognizing any of the following symptoms:
- Abdominal pain
- Blood in your stool
- Feeling full after only a small meal
- Poor appetite
- Swelling in the abdomen
- Weight loss
Early Detection is Critical for Oncology Treatment
Early detection significantly improves your chances of overcoming a cancer diagnosis. That is why we recommend scheduling an appointment at one of our convenient facilities if you have even the slightest concern about your health. We will review your medical history and conduct a thorough physical examination before performing one or more diagnostic tests to determine whether you have gastrointestinal cancer. A gastrointestinal oncology diagnosis may involve:
- Biopsy – We will obtain a small tissue sample for examination by a pathologist in a lab. This quick procedure enables us to make decisions about your treatment plan.
- Endoscopy – Using a flexible tube with a light and tiny camera, we will look inside your body for signs of cancer. Common endoscopies include a colonoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, and upper GI endoscopy.
- Imaging Tests – Our team may use a CT scan, ultrasound, MRI, or positron emission tomography (PET) scan to screen for gastrointestinal cancers.
We Offer Various Gastrointestinal Oncology Treatments
Your gastrointestinal oncology treatment will depend on the type of cancer you have. But our medical professionals will ensure you are comfortable with the process and understand why we have chosen your individual treatment plan. Our team has decades of experience, so you can rest assured knowing we will use our expertise and collective knowledge of the latest medical breakthroughs to put you on a path toward remission. Our gastrointestinal oncology treatments include:
- Medications – Various medications may target your specific cancer. We will prescribe a regimen that treats your cancer and its symptoms.
- Chemotherapy – This drug treatment plan uses powerful chemicals to destroy cancer cells by inhibiting their ability to divide and grow.
- Targeted Therapy – We can prescribe drugs that block the growth of cancer cells while causing little to no damage to healthy cells. This treatment does not work for all gastrointestinal cancers.
- Radiation Therapy – Often used in combination with chemotherapy, radiation can target your cancer while sparing healthy tissue.
- Surgery – Our oncologists may recommend a surgical procedure to remove cancerous tissue and restore your health.
Contact Rocky Mountain Gastroenterology Associates Today
A cancer diagnosis will significantly impact your life, so you need a medical professional on your side who knows how to treat the condition safely and accurately. Colorado residents rely on Rocky Mountain Gastroenterology Associates to diagnose and treat gastrointestinal cancer. Our oncologists have decades’ worth of experience and will provide the best treatment available in Denver, Aurora, Thornton, Lakewood, and Brighton, CO, as well as the surrounding communities. Contact us today to request an appointment.Go back